QuickBooks Online (QBO) offers free sandboxes to aid in the development of custom QBO applications. Sandbox application credentials can be used to authenticate QBO element instances and perform all API calls that normal, non-sandbox applications are capable of. Follow these instructions to create your own QBO sandbox application:
- Navigate to the Intuit Developer Portal: https://developer.intuit.com/. Sign up for a developer account if you do not already have one by clicking "Sign Up" in the upper-right corner.
- Navigate to https://developer.intuit.com/v2/ui#/app/startcreate.
- Click the "Select APIs" button under "Just start coding".
- Select the APIs you wish to use. This selection can always be changed later via your app's settings.
- Click the "Keys" tab to be redirected to a page which contains your API key and secret. This is also where you configure settings for your applications such as which sandbox to connect to (one is automatically created for you when you sign up for a developer account).
- You should now be able to authenticate a QBO an element instance using the credentials on the "Keys" tab. For more information on authenticating an instance of QuickBooks Online, see this article.
Note: remember to include
configuration.use_sandbox: true in your POST body to
/instances when authenticating an instance using a sandbox application.